Saturday, April 13, 2013

Using CANVAS in the ESL Classroom

I recently completed the Washington state CANVAS training, and I must admit that I was more than pleasantly surprised by the simplicity, quality, and versatility of this platform and its obvious superiority over Blackboard/Angel. My college is adopting it as of the next academic year, so I'll be able to really begin working with it in Summer 2013. I anticipate it being beneficial in so many ways, for students, for instructors (me), and for the ESL program. 

Possible benefits for students
I work primarily with students at the upper-intermediate/advanced level (CEFR: B1/B2). Currently, I ask them to use the pbWorks site I have designed specifically for our classes in order to participate in online journaling (and discussions), complete other work online, view homework assignments, and find documents/materials necessary for class. It works wonderfully but is limited. It also does not help students become familiar with the college platform, currently ANGEL. So, with the college's change to CANVAS, I'll be able to do everything I do with pbWorks (and so much more) AND students will get to know CANVAS before moving into regular college classes. -- Let me mention that some of the "so much more" that will be possible with CANVAS involves videos (perhaps using TEGRITY), exercises and quizzes, vocabulary practice, etc.

Possible benefits for instructors
As I mentioned above, CANVAS is very simple to master and offers so many options. It also makes communicating with students and monitoring progress very easy. One additional (major) advantage will be that instructors can link Course Learning Outcomes with assignments/quizzes/tests as well as grading rubrics/comments.

Possible benefits for ESL programs
Because it seems quite easy to transfer the CANVAS course from one quarter/semester to the next, I'm hoping it will be just as easy to copy a CANVAS course to another instructor if he/she is asked to teach the class. In addition, instructors in one program could view each other's CANVAS courses (at different or the same proficiency levels) and learn from each other. Finally, being able to link Course Learning Outcomes should make norming a breeze.

If you've had experience with CANVAS in the ESL classroom, please leave a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment