Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Flipped ESL Classroom

Recently, my colleague Sheri Decker passed on to me the link to an article entitled "The Flipped Classroom Defined" on the Mind/Shift blog. What is especially noteworthy about this particular article is less the concept of the flipped (or inverted) classroom, which has been around for quite a few years now, and more that it is presented in a great visual format:  


Because ESL classes are primarily focused on skill building and only secondarily  on content, they tend to be "flipped" in the sense that the majority of class time is dedicated to "learning through activity." 

Yet, some of the elements mentioned in the article require adaptation for ESL classes. For instance, recording entire class-length lectures for students to view outside of class might be overwhelming and less beneficial for ELLs, but recording shorter mini-lectures (or explanations / demonstrations) of one concept  (at a time) would be an excellent way for students to prepare and review. 

Of course, when I do create my videos, I'll follow the beautifully simple and effect approach Salman Khan used in creating the Khan Academy. (I was first introduced to his vision in his Ted lecture "Let's use video to reinvent education.")

Yet, even without the mini-lectures I have yet to create, I have long been passionate about  the inverted teaching approach. I dedicate the majority of all class time to active learning. And, I assign listening from Ted.com (and other websites) as well as reading from various sources (our textbook, newspapers, magazines, websites) either as preparation or review. To state it more simply, I try to use the majority of class time for productive skills (writing and speaking) and the majority of homework time for receptive skills (reading and listening). 

So, what have your experiences been with the flipped ESL classroom?  


No comments:

Post a Comment